Tottenham Hotspur look to have stolen a march on Aston Villa in the race to sign Rodrigo Bentancur, with Gianluca Di Marzio reporting that Spurs have now made a £25 million bid for the Juventus midfielder.
Antonio Conte’s men have seemingly recently joined the race for the 24-year-old. It was reported on Saturday that they had made an enquiry regarding a potential loan move.
It was claimed that that move was turned down by the Old Lady. Tottenham have not been deterred however.
Gianluca Di Marzio reports that Tottenham have now made a bid of around £25 million. Aston Villa meanwhile, are expected to return with a fresh offer of their own in the coming hours.
That is because Tottenham’s current bid is said to be more convincing.
Bentancur deal would help get Tottenham window back on track
It would be a boost for Tottenham to get a deal for Bentancur over the line before the deadline. Of course, he is not the only central Serie A midfielder they have been heavily linked with this month.
A deal for Sofyan Amrabat looks to be in the works. Amrabat however, looks to be a somewhat underwhelming target. He has not been a regular fixture in the Fiorentina side this season by any means.
The large majority of his appearances this term have come from the bench.
Bentancur meanwhile, has started fairly regularly for Juventus. And the 24-year-old would be joining ahead of the peak years of his career.
It has not been a window that has, so far, gone to plan for Tottenham. So getting a deal for Bentancur finalised in the coming hours would be a timely boost.
Having said that, Villa are clearly not ready to give up their pursuit just yet. So it will be fascinating to see how Steven Gerrard’s side respond now that Tottenham have reportedly put £25 million on the table.
Have something to tell us about this article?